Grundel is the main antagonist of Thumbelina.
He is the eldest of Mrs. Toad's sons who intends to marry Thumbelina (much to the latter's dismay). He was voiced by the late Joe Lynch in his final film after his retirement that same year and his death in 2001.
Grundel is seen to have attributes like a natural toad, but with a thin mustache that is above his lips, in scenes you see few teeth, but as he grins more comes in. He wears a a baby blue clown outfit with a blue orbs on it while the bottom is sky blue. He wears slippers with an indigo fuzz ball on top of them.
He is seen as an aloof toad in need of companionship and assumes he's in love with Thumbelina because she blows a kiss in front of him. He is seen hellbent with obsession and as we seen in the climax a would've been certain death.
Role in Film
Grundel plots to capture and marry Thumbelina and defeat his three other competitors for her: Berkeley Beetle (whom he pulls the wings off of to make sure he helped find her), Mr. Mole, and Prince Cornelius.
In the climax, Grundel fights Cornelius with a torch. Grundel knocks him out and disarms him, but Cornelius grabs his leg and they both fall into the bottomless pit in Mr. Mole's tunnel.
In the credits, he is seen in the book and married to a female toad.
- Grundel was voiced by the late Joe Lynch in his final film after, his retirement that same year and his death in 2001.
- Grundel is the eldest of Mrs. Toad's sons of the film Thumbelina.
- His name is similar to Grendel from the Beowulf story only more into the humor and on a play.
- He is also considered someone confused and not sure if he's in love with somebody.
- He is similar to the main villain of Better Off Dead and is often considered a bully.
- In one book, Grundel and Berkeley are shown to have fought Cornelius, until they give up and run away. This is different from the movie, in which the toad bashes the beetle's head in, and eventually tumbles off the tunnel bridge to his doom, taking the prince with him.
- Even though Mr. Mole proved to be the bigger threat, Grundel was the main antagonist because he was the immediate threat that Thumbelina had to face.